Author Topic: Newsrover problem - any experts out there - please help!  (Read 14412 times)

skypilotpete

• Just Arrived
I purchased Newsrover some time ago, because I liked its search options, but it is driving me crazy. It simply won't download and display a reliable list of recent headers. I have described the problem in detail to Newsrover "Support", but they are totally unable or unprepared to help. I have described all the steps I have taken, and they replied to me advising me to do what I have told them I had already done!

Here is the problem.

I am trying to download and display the most up-to-date messages on the group alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks. (The same problem happens with whatever newsgroup I try - it is not specific to this group).

Despite the fact that alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks is a very active group, with multiple posts every day, no matter what I try, Newsrover comes up with a totally out of date list. For example, I just ran the command "Update list of available messages" - Newsrover chugged away for ages saying "Getting up to 500,000 headers" and eventually came up with a list with posting dates from 27 Sept 2008 to 13 Dec 2008.

I have unsubscribed from the newsgroup, resubscribed and then run the command: "Get new headers for all subscribed newsgroups on server".

I have run the command "Redownload list of available messages" using the option "Get most recent message headers" - number of message headers to get: 200,000
I have tried both "Get some message headers" (whatever that means) and "Get all message headers".

I have uninstalled Newsrover and reinstalled it.

Nothing makes any difference. I just get an old, outdated list of messages.

I have started using Grabit instead, so I know exactly what should be availabale.

I am relucatant to give up on Newsrover completely, because I paid for it, and it (should) do some things that Grabit doesn't.

I am at my wits end. Can anyone help with this?

I run Windows XP Pro Sp3, Newsrover 14.2. My newsprovider is Astraweb (direct feed provided by my ISP,  Internode) and my average download speed is 6 mbps

Red Dwarf

• Forum expert
Re: Newsrover problem - any experts out there - please help!
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2009, 17:52:07 »
Is the clock on your computer correct?

skypilotpete

• Just Arrived
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2009, 01:45:19 »
Yes, the clock on my computer is correct, and it is adjusted to the second every day by an application I run which checks my download status with my server.

Red Dwarf

• Forum expert
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2009, 07:02:49 »
I meant the date actually, but I assume that is also adjusted every day. I don't use newsrover myself, so I don't have other ideas. :(

dna001

• Just Arrived
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2011, 12:48:35 »
Its still got the same problem  and its now 2011,  did you ever get it to work. i no i cant :-(