Author Topic: Newznab Indexers: Advantages and Disadvantages  (Read 7005 times)

nzblord

• Just Arrived
Newznab Indexers: Advantages and Disadvantages
« on: 06 April 2013, 20:06:55 »
Dear Readers,

in last months there are many new Usenet indexers appeared on the market and maybe someone noticed that all they look very similar to each other - that's true! The reason for it is that all they use the same indexing scrypt offered by Newznab. For about 20USD now everyone can buy the scrypt and install it to the own server. The system will download latest releases with Nzb files and makes a powerful, good structured site that can be created without any real programming knowledge required.

I personally find this very amazing, also created my own site already NZBid.org and must say the scrypt works very good. Of course a good server is needed and costs not low money, but it's needed to handle much new releases comes daily. In last weeks in indexed more then 800.000 releases from about 150 Usenet newsgroups and new updates come every 30 minutes.

Advantages:
- Good content with many details: information taken from IMDB, Amazon, TheMovieDB, Trakt and other ressources
- Users can get Nzb and Nfo files and see what release contains
- About 90% of posts are high qualitied files (no passwords, downloadable)
- User registration management
- Users get API key they can use with Sickbeard and other services
- Commenting allowed

Disadvantages:
- Many Newznab sites go private after some time to avoid DMCA problems
- Some sites have API and Nzb Donwload daily limits (VIP access needed)

I made my site opened for everyone without any limits, but many require registration or VIP area to get all features enabled. Some of similar sites already added many new features so it becomes really an open source project.

Don't know if this information is useful for you, but I thought it's interesting to give feedback to Newznab, maybe someone for many years wanted to have his own indexer :)

nzblord

• Just Arrived
Re: Newznab Indexers: Advantages and Disadvantages
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 13:19:48 »
Update to my thread: Using these Newznab sites in last months I came to conclusion that they do not really make any quality. They have mostly the same Nzb files, but with much more description. So I'm going back to classical search engines like FindNZB like NZBFriends cause generally they have much more Nzb files and newsgroups indexed and you will have more choise. From Newznab I use only one who are free.

nzblord

• Just Arrived
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2013, 23:42:03 »
Update: All usenet friends who are fed up with fake and password protected binaries can check the new project launched on domain www.usenethub.com

blindpet

• Just Arrived
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2014, 23:00:59 »
How does usenethub filter fake releases?