Author Topic: What are these .exe files from inside decompressed .rar files  (Read 10435 times)

naselloj

• Just Arrived
I download a .rar file and in it there is a .exe file
I run the .exe file but can't fine the program that should be in it.
can someone tell me how to use these .exe files to get the program or where
to find the answer ?    Thank You

Red Dwarf

• Forum expert
Re: What are these .exe files from inside decompressed .rar files
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2011, 11:11:49 »
If it doesn't do something obvious like installing the program or self extract an archive you might have reason to worry. I've encountered mp3 files like that. At the time I expected a self-extracting archive. What I got was a program that, besides playing/extracting the song, tried to install some malware, according to my Anti-Virus program.

jaapf

• Forum expert
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2011, 11:43:31 »
Self extracting files can be extracted without executing the .exe. I make it a habit not to execute, but extract them to give the virus-scanner more opportunities to catch possible infections.

It is always wise to scan inside archives before extracting them, or in any case, any downloaded exe.

chaosavatar

• Just Arrived
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2012, 22:26:28 »
greetings friends!
i have the same problem...  All RAR  files i download contains a file with the same name  but with  an  EXE extension  that is  unopenable.  AVG reports NO  virus but virustotal reports a variant of Win32/Injector.YYR

obviously a virus... ok.

the strange thing is  that i've found this same issue in all the rar files i've downloaded so far.

is  this a common issue ? was it bad luck only ?

nzblord

• Just Arrived
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2013, 20:21:26 »
If I see any EXE files inside the archive I delete it directly, cause in most cases it means nothing good. I'm registered on many forums and boards where I get good Nzb files.

blindpet

• Just Arrived
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2014, 22:58:14 »
You are probably downloading fake garbage releases. Get a good indexer and configure Sabnzbd to discard fake releases if you are only downloading media files through usenet.